Thursday, August 11, 2005

They were born in 1987? When I Was Making Goo-Goo Eyes at Tom Appler During George "No, Really, I'm Straight" Michael's 'Father Figure'?

Each year, Beloit College in Wisconsin publishes what it calls a "Mindset List" to help faculty and staff better understand the outlook of the incoming class of first-year students. This year's list is a little weak, I think; the only one that really gave me chills was #13. I don't know if the 2002 Mindset List was the first year that Beloit culled factoids about its matriculates, but it was the first time that I looked at a collection of generational identifiers and felt the impact of not relating. This, I know, will repeat itself ad infinitum during my lifetime, but it still feels weird to be the "older" generation. But I have to make my peace with that, 'cause the alternative would be hanging out in the Limited Too, going to all ages shows, and just generally being creepy in a vain attempt to keep in touch with the Millenials.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One finds many interesting things when they are bored enough (and, apparently narcissistic enough) to Google their own name. For instance, one could, if one were so inclined, discover that I gave money to the Maryland SPCA. Perhaps one might also, discover that they were once the (sadly, probably oblivious) recipient of “goo-goo eyes.” If I were getting any goo-goo action in those long days, I would have been rockin’ the halls of Pine Grove Middle School. Ever heard of it? I dig your blog, by the way. And I’m not ashamed to admit I own the George Michael Greatest Hits Double CD International-Super-Maxi-Value-Pack.

M.C. Vaughan said...

I don't know why I didn't comment on this YEARS ago, but here I am, doing it now. Tom Appler, you were (and probably are), cool in a very Ferris Bueller-ish way. Which speaks to those of us born in the '70's, no? Anyway, please know that you were the target of at least five crushes *that I knew of* among the ladies who roamed the halls at Pine Grove Middle in 1986. Oh, how we loved you...