Tuesday, March 06, 2007

It's Really Tricky to Say Any of These in Casual Conversation Without Sounding Completely Obnoxious

Following is the Top 10 list of things I have heard in random chatter that (a) made me feel like my passions are the proverbial other man's trash, and (b) made me realize that there are some people who actually operate per the prescription of "live your best life" books and articles. Who knew? There's nothing particularly wrong with these statements in and of themselves. It's jus that those who share them tend to do so in a rather sartorial manner. For what it's worth, I hesitated to put this list together because it says more about my insecurities than it does about others' egos. I am a bit of an exhibitionist when it comes to my foibles, though, so on with the list!

1.) "I don't own a television."

2.) "I pay my balance off in full at the end of every month."

3.) "I get all of my news from newspapers."

4.) "I don't eat fast food."

5.) "I never take out less than $200."

6.) "I don't read fiction."

7.) "Having a vacation home can be frustrating because I never remember which clothes I've left where."

8.) "I was contemplating an amber-colored beverage."

9.) "I can't imagine not working out every day."

10.) "I really only go to the movies for foreign films and documentaries."

No comments: