Friday, January 19, 2007

My TiVo Doesn't Like Me

I'm currently enjoying my eleventh week of maternity leave. In that time, I've used our television like a lamp. Yep, it's on ALL THE TIME. I grew up with many other children and much noise in the house, so too much quiet discomfits me. Since Hubby's at work and the Boy is in daycare while I tend to the Girl, I have complete and total control of the boob tube for about eight hours a day.

It is a godlike power.

Throughout my time at home, I have been giving the TiVo thumbs up to my programs of choice, which is a pretty eclectic mix: true crime, makeover, cooking, home improvement, news, britcoms, and chat shows. I'm not proud of my taste. There's nothing hip about it. But, I would like TiVo to acknowledge it and occasionally recommend something to me, or even record something for which I've clearly shown a preference. This hasn't happened yet, and I think I know why:

My TiVo is sexist.

Yep, TiVo has sided with Hubby and the Boy. Just this morning, I was watching "American Justice" on A&E, and TiVo made two suggestions in as many minutes. The first suggestion was for "Hoosiers," which TiVo has recorded spontaneously on at least three other occasions. The second was for "Dan Zanes House Party" on the Disney Channel. I canceled both of 'em out, but let's take a quick look at the suggestions you managed to stuff into the Now Playing List:

Where's the love, TiVo? I guess you think that I'd be psyched about "My Super Sweet Sixteen," but next to "Mama's Family" and "Mind of Mencia," it's probably my least favorite show in existence. What is it about the programs that I watch that make you think I'm a fan of documentaries about bratzillas? By the way, you might think that 'Buffy ' is for me because the title character is a chick. Sure, I like the show but let's be honest: that one's for Hubby too. After all, he's the one that drooled over the Vampyr Book prop replica, not me.

Seriously TiVo, what gives? Don't you know that I am the one who finagled you as a gift? I'm the one who told Hubby's former officemates that the PERFECT parting/impending fatherhood gift was TiVo. You wouldn't even be here if it weren't for me, so let's start finding fun stuff for me in the middle of the night.

No comments: