Monday, March 24, 2008

Do You Watch the Wire? Huh? Huh? Do Ya?

Many, many, many people ask me if I watch "The Wire." Seriously. Everyone who knows or suspects that I'm indigenous to Charm City asks if I watch. And I keep telling them that I don't. They groan, physically pained by the fact that a native, with whom they could have Very Important Conversations about the fictional and not-so-fictional aspects of the city, has just chat-blocked them with viewer ignorance.

Well, that's going to change because Super-Ninja's brother and sister-in-law sent us the series on DVD. I know that I will enjoy it, be fascinated and maddened by it. It's a little strange for me, though, because my standard response to "Do you watch 'The Wire?'" was: I've lived and worked here for decades, and I know the reality. I see it on the nightly news, in the daily newspaper. Not to mention that I watched this, this, this, and this*. So, I haven't really felt the burning desire to see another shadowy B'more on the small screen. But I'll give it a shot, because I love me a compelling story, and this show more than any other I've heard about promises a heaping huge delivery of Compelling Story.

Why am I telling you all of this? Well, in a rare synesthetic moment, today, I happened upon this article in the Baltimore Sun. All ye watchers of 'The Wire,' read and discuss.

*Okay, not really of the same ilk. But it's about murders in Baltimore, yeah?

No comments: