Monday, January 16, 2006

New Rule #2

Mr. Mail Carrier delivered my monthly BMG envelope o'junk. I'm not totally sure why they are the "Bertelsmann Music Group" if you can order miscellanea like t-shirts, shot glasses, and calendars. Offering these items would make sense if these items were exclusively emblazoned with a pantheon of rock gods. Last time I checked, Brooke Burke had zip to do with music.

But I digress.

The offer this month is buy one CD, get three free. Since I'm a sucker for freebies, I popped open the catalog to see whether or not there were four CDs I wanted to add to my collection.

Perusing my options, I was surprised by the number of artists shilling a greatest hits/best of album. Thus New Rule #2 was born: a music artist must have at least five top 10 hits to warrant a greatest hits album, or they should be sued for false advertising. I'm lookin' at you, Ace of Base (they think they made the cut with 5 hits, but they listed "Beautiful Life" TWICE). You too, Animotion. And don't think I didn't see your ouevre purporting to be a greatest hits album, Rick Astley.

Did you notice something, Gentle Reader? The artists I've listed above are all listed under "A." Yep, I didn't have the stomach to work my way through the remaining 25 letters of the alphabet.

Good grief. I clearly need to get a job.

No comments: