Friday, July 13, 2007

Good Day, Sunshine

(I don't live in this glorious place, but it seemed a nicer illustration than the sparkling Inner Loop of 695)

Is it reassuring or extra creepy that this is the sunshiniest, mildest day of all time AND it's Friday the 13th?

Wait, did I just blog about the weather? THE WEATHER?!? Seeking redemption...seeking redemption...

One New Year's many years ago, I visited my sister when she and her family were living in Deutschland. It's a German tradition, apparently, to set off fireworks in the neighborhood at midnight (since they have red clay roofs, they don't really need to sweat the possibility of New Year's Flambé). Whilst the fireworks lit up the sky and we sipped champagne, my sister's neighbor, Felix, chatted about when he'd lived in the States (the Republic of Texas, thankyouverymuch). He said he loved America, with one exception: our predilection for talking about the weather.

His tirade went a little something like this...

"You have nothing to talk about except the weather? That is so boring! I have more interesting things to talk about! I am studying [insert some applied mathematic juju that I couldn't retain]! We should talk about that! Schnell!"

Okay, he didn't say that last 'Schnell'. In my imagination, Germans want to punctuate everything they say with it, so I added it to Felix's rant. Oh, and to clarify: he wasn't yelling at me. He was yelling at remembered conversations with bouffanted Mary Kay saleswomen.

Phew. Suddenly, this post turned into a recollection of an exciting travel experience, and NOT a post about the weather. See, Felix? I do have better things to talk about. I was worried for a second there.

No comments: