Monday, July 02, 2007

Prince William Has a Voice Twin!

I'm a bit of an anglophile, so I cranked NPR up to eleven during its piece on the Concert for Diana (trust, I understand that admitting that makes me sound like a gigantic nerd). Something about Princes William and Harry's speech gave me a wicked case of déjà vu, though. I'm sitting in my car, tapping my steering wheel, thinking I've heard this address before. I'm picturing a castle, a crowd, someone saying "Boo!" Wait! Prince William, starting at about 1:30 in the video below, bears an uncanny vocal resemblance to Chris Sarandon's Prince Humperdinck in "The Princess Bride." Here are the heirs to the British throne:



Now, go rent "The Princess Bride" and fast-forward to Buttercup's funerary fantasy, when Prince Humperdinck tells the murmuring crowd, "My father's final words were, 'Love her, as I loved her and there will be joy. I present to you, your queen; Queen Buttercup." (Sorry about the offline re-direct; that scene doesn't exist on these here Interwebs.)

Eerie, right? What? It's just me? Really? Hmmm.

And by the way (slight non sequitur): why hasn't Broadway created a musical based on "The Princess Bride" yet? If they can retro-fit Monty Python's "Holy Grail" as "Spamalot," then surely the tale of Buttercup and Westley would make a jim dandy of a show on the Great White Way. So, all you musical theatre types, get to work on that. I would, but me and the writing of music, we're like this (MCV holds arms out to sides like the model for one of Da Vinci's more famous pencil sketches).

No comments: