Friday, June 17, 2005

Motherless Maids = Psychopaths

Last night Bestie and I had a bit of a girls' night and went to see "Mr. and Mrs. Smith." It's a little film; maybe you've heard of it? If not, my sympathies, because you must be in a coma. Okay, okay, that's probably too harsh since it's not really the movie that's getting all the buzz. The rumored affair between the leads, Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt and the subsequent (though theoretically unrelated) bust-up of Pitt's marriage to Jennifer Aniston has garnered roughly 97% of tabloid rags' real estate since January.

That's got nothin' to do with nothin', though. In an effort to squeeze every drop of value out of my Bachelor's in English (which I am still paying for eight years ex post facto), I analyze movies. Now, no one accused Simon Kinberg of writing think pieces, and a story about married hitmen (hitpeople?) certainly isn't Chekov. But there was one line in the film that caught my attention.

Mrs. Smith reveals that her parents died when she was five years old. Mr. Smith, shocked, learns she paid an actor to play her father at their wedding. Mostly, though, Mr. Smith seems annoyed that he was naive enough to invite his real parents.

Here's the subtext: men can enter this line of work without a load of people scratching their heads as to how he got there. Boys will be boys, after all. However, if a woman opts to become a gun-for-hire, something traumatic must lurk in her background. It's the only way to explain away her aberrant behavior, right?

Okay, so I'm overthinking this. I guess I just don't want people to speculate that I have a dark history when I finally become a hitwoman.

No comments: