Thursday, June 16, 2005

Wisdom in the Weirdest Places

Last night while my husband sequestered himself in the basement to clean out his e-mail in-box, I watched VH1's (inside)out. It's more documentary than reality show, and this ep's subject was Juliette and the Licks, the pseudo-eponymous band of Juliette Lewis. I'm not sure if Juliette's musical stylings are to my taste yet -- it's kind of a Patty Smyth meets Karen O from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Throughout the doc, Juliette makes it pretty clear that people are overwhelmingly interested in her ability to maintain her acting career while she's jumpstarting her burgeoning career as a songstress. It seems most folks believe that she can't possibly have the energy to do well in both realms. At one point the interviewer asks something like, "Can anything stop Juliette Lewis?" She laughs it off and replies, "Can anything stop me? Just me."

Who knew that I'd be inspired by the chick who let Robert DeNiro's character stick his thumb in her mouth in "Cape Fear"?

No comments: