Monday, August 06, 2007

Wedding Song Playlist

I'll admit that I had aspirations to be a DJ a long time ago. Anyone who's passionate about music has this fantasy that they can control the happiness of a roomful of people by spinning just the right tracks. For me, this took the form of many, many mixtapes in college. Very emo of me, eh?

All of this is to say that I might get a wee judgmental of music played during a wedding reception. The wedding we went to this past weekend was a lovely affair, and I've no critique of the ceremony, the organization, nor the first dance song choice. But there's a song that's been played at the last three weddings I've attended, and it's making me wonder...

Is "I Will Survive" an appropriate song to play at a wedding? A song about righteous singlehood? I know it's got a great beat and you can dance to it, but could we retire this one from events celebrating coupledom?

No comments: