Friday, August 10, 2007

Gay Boyfriends and Politics

All the shows that I usually listen to in the morning are on vacation or have become phenomenally boring this week, so I've been exploring the stations on SIRIUS (yep, that's right, the man hasn't shut me down...yet). I've totally developed a crush on OutQ in the Morning with Larry Flick. In college, I had a couple of gay boyfriends, but those relationships are pretty dependent on proximity. Since all of my pals migrated to gay-friendlier towns, I haven't had a gay boyfriend for awhile. I didn't realize how much I missed their brand of conversation 'til I listened in on this show.

Case in point: this morning, Larry Flick was analyzing the Visible Vote '08, which aired on Logo last night. Now, this is a pretty big deal as the candidates that are considered to be the really major players -- Hillary Rodham Clinton, Barack Obama, and John Edwards -- all participated. But Larry Flick expressed some concern that various news media outlets and, oh, say, the general public wouldn't take this not-really-a-debate and its participants very seriously for various reasons. Fair point, for a couple of reasons: Melissa Etheridge, not Tim Russert, for example, moderated. Also, no conservative candidates participated.

Another reason Larry cited? Several of the candidates were wearing ill-fitting suits -- some were too big, some were too small, and Larry pointed out that a person loses some of their gravitas if he doesn't allow tailors to work his magic on his political threads. And that, my friends, is the kind of thing you'd expect to hear from a gay boyfriend.

Just for fun, enjoy the Hazzards' "Gay Boyfriend":

No comments: